Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Technology
This page contains links to external websites and to local pages addressing Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Technology relevant to transportation and storage of radioactive materials. Some of this material is available only in Adobe Acrobat format. If you do not have the Acrobat Reader and wish to download it, click here.
Congratulation to the Argonne National Laboratory for winning the 2013 Active RFID Case Study Award presented by AIM (Association for Automatic Identification and Mobility).
here for a full picture view)
Congratulations to the Packaging Certification Program (PCP) RFID Team for being selected as one of the 100 World's Best Technologies (WBT) for 2011.
Congratulations to the Packaging Certification Program (PCP) RFID Team for winning the RFID Journal Award 2011 for Most Innovative Use of RFID
here for a full picture view)
The U.S Department of Energy is a Technical Board Advisor of the DASH7 Alliance. The DASH7 Alliance is a consortium of leading RFID industry players, gathered to advance the use of DASH7 wireless data technology by developing extensions to the ISO 18000-7 standard, ensuring interoperability among devices, and educating the market about DASH7 technology. Drs. Yung Y. Liu, ANL/PCP Team Leader, and James M. Shuler, Manager, DOE Packaging Certification Program, are on the Technical Board of Advisors to the DASH-7 Alliance.
The DOE Packaging Certification Program (PCP) now has available an RFID tracking system for the management of nuclear material packages during storage and transportation. The system, developed by Argonne National Laboratory, involves hardware modification (e.g., form factor, seal sensor, and batteries), application software development, secured database and web server development and irradiation experiments. Argonne tested key features of the RFID tracking system of nuclear materials packagings in a recent week-long, 1700-mi demonstration. Both the hardware and software platforms were verified to be stable and to meet performance requirements. The PCP and supporting national laboratories are working on several RFID system implementation projects within the DOE Complex, along with continuing device and systems development and widening applications.
- To view a movie on the PCP RFID system, click here
- For description and technical specifications of the RFID system, see fact sheet
- For details on the PCP RFID system, see the following video, papers and reports.
- ARG-US RFID Watchful Guardian Video (posted on youtube)
- REMOTE MONITORING OF Alpha Gamma Hot Cell Facility by ARG-US RFID System, February 2015
- ARG-US RFID The Watchful Guardian, 2013
- SensiTrack RRD Solution for Hazardous Materials, 2013
- Continuous, Unattended Monitoring of the Alpha Gamma Hot Cell Facility with ARG-US RFID System, 2013
- A Readily Deployable, Low-Cost Means to Track High Risk Materials in Transport, 2013
- ARG-US RFID for Monitoring and Tracking Nuclear Materials The Operating Experience, August 2013 [2.21 MB PDF]
- Comprehensive Nuclear Material Surveillance with a Radiation Detector-Equipped ARG-US RFID System, July 2013 [881 KB PDF]
- Qualification/Accreditation of ARG-US RFID Tag as a TID Seal , July 2012 [171 KB PDF]
- Tracking and Monitoring with Dosimeter-Enabled ARG-US RFID System, WM2012 Conference, February 26 - March 1, 2012
- Radiation-Sensor-Equipped Radio Frequency Identification System , July 2011 [799 KB PDF]
- Integration of ARG-US RFID and DOE TRANSCOM , July 2011 [628 KB PDF]
- Enabling ARG-US Radio Frequency Identification Technology in Los Alamos National Laboratory's 'Big Bird,' The Off-Site Source Recovery Project Truck, August 30, 2010 [18 MB file]
- Report on Radio Frequency Identification 2010 Category I Vault Testing Program, July 2010
- Report on A 2009 Mini-Demonstration of The ARG-US Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) System in Transportation, September 30, 2009 [13 MB file]
- A Radiofrequency Identification (RFID) Temperature-Monitoring System for Extended Maintenance of Nuclear Materials Packaging, July 2009
- ARG-US - An RFID-Based Tracking and Monitoring System for Nuclear Material Packages, July 2009
- Report on Demonstration (DEMO) of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Tracking System, September 30, 2008 [12 MB file]
- Applying RFID Technology in Nuclear Materials Management, dated 2008
- Development of the RFID System for Nuclear Materials Management, July 2008
- Life Cycle Management of Radioactive Materials Packaging, dated 2007